Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Amaranth with Hardy Veggie Stirfry

While in Belize we would cook with Callaloo leaves as a leafy green. Andrea would tell me that most people just think this is a weed, but the greens and the seeds are actually quite healthy and tasty. Then low and behold, I come to Chicago and Dr. J (the women who started Black Oaks Center that we work with through ADPSR) told me she had a dream about giving me amaranth. So she brought some over for me. It was crazy because I had no idea that you could get Amaranth around here. She said that Amaranth grows all over their land. Supposedly Amaranth like buckwheat is a complete protein which is rare for a grain. So tonight I decided to experiment with what I had in my fridge. In Belize they told me you could use the seeds in baking bread, but I read the package and it said that it does well in numerous things. Last week I made a dahl soup and threw some of them in. Quite good. Probably my favorite soup I've made in awhile. Tonight I though hey lets cook it like couscous. It kind of looks like it anyway. And this is what I came up with...

Amaranth with Hardy Veggie Stirfry

Ingredients

2 cups veggie broth (use the broth made from veggie scrapes)
1/4 cup amaranth seeds
(i'd suggest doubling this recipe for the amount of veggie stirfry)

1/2 small onion largely chopped
1 zucchini thinly sliced
1/4 head of red cabbage chopped
1 small beet peeled and thinly sliced
handful of fresh spinach
2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 T tumeric
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 T lemon juice

Start with boiling the veggie broth and slowly add amaranth seeds. Lightly boil seeds with veggie broth for about 25 mins. You might need to add more water. Cook until seeds are chewy but still firm and liquid is gone.

Heat oil in a wok. When almost to the point of smoking, add cumin seeds and poppy seeds until they become fragrant (about 2 mins). Toss in onions and garlic until golden. Add beets, cabbage, lemon juice, tumeric, and worcestershire sauce and cook for about 4 minutes. Add zucchini and cook for about 2 more minutes. Lastly add spinach. Cook until spinach is only slightly wilted.

Place stirfry on top of a layer of amaranth seeds.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: