Sunday, March 1, 2009

Veggie Eggs Benedict (not vegan)


I just started getting a CSA box from Farmer Tom's CSA and I've been experimenting with all the new food. It was like Christmas time when I opened up my box of foodies. I didn't even know what some of the items were, and I thought I was pretty well versed in types of food. I was wrong. Friday night I made some stewed Indian red and yellow beets (yellow beats? who knew!), and some kale in peanut sauce over rice. They turned out not bad, but I couldn't find my camera. So I'll have to make it again to put it on the blog sometime.

But today I woke up inspired... After all the stress this week brought. I needed to cook with abandon to work out some of my anxieties. Yesterday I baked Blueberry banana muffins (I'll show you this soon), but it only used egg whites so I had egg yolks left over. I decided to freeze them (with a little salt) in ice cube trays so I could use them again. Not wanting to waste the yolks, I started with the idea of Hollandaise sauce....yumm... I am very impressed with this dish and I'm excited to test it out on some friends/family. If you cook this meal, please let me know what you think!

Now to the recipe. *please rememeber I don't measure so the ingredients are estimated* This is what came out of it...

VEGGIE EGG BENEDICT
(pan fried eggs with stir-fryed kale, onions and sesame seeds on top of fresh sourdough with a light topping of hollandaise sauce.)

Sourdough
3 small slices
*see previous blog on how to make your own. Please note amendments to the recipe at the end.

Hollandaise Sauce
  • 4 scrambled eggs yolks
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 stick melted butter

Kale Stirfry
  • 1 head of kale chopped
  • 1/2 medium white onion
  • 2 cloves garlic (1 tsp chopped)
  • 1/4 c water
  • 1 Tbsp vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juic
  • 1 Tbsp ginger, garlic and grapeseed oil
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • dash of sugar
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 t savory
  • 1 t sesame seeds
Fried Eggs
  • 2 eggs
First thing you need to make the sourdough.

Hollandaise Sauce (I tried making this at the Speckled Bird Cafe, but mistakenly used egg whites instead of yolks. Doesn't work!!!)
Melt the stick of butter and set aside. Whisk together the egg yolks (please don't throw away the egg whites use them as merengue or in a baking recipe like healthy blueberry muffins OR instead of fried eggs have scrabbled egg whites), salt and the lemon juice. Set up a double broiler, or if you don't have one like me, place a pie pan on top of a small soup pan (preferably one that you can fit the pie pan into but is still resting on the sides) with water in it. Don't let the water boil. It should only be on the verge of boiling and the water should not be touching the pie pan. From there put the lemon juice, egg yolk, salt mixture into the pan and keep whisking. Gradually pour the melted butter into the mixture whisking the whole time. It should thickin and grow in size. It took me about 3 minutes. Take sauce out of pan so it doesn't keep heating and place to the side covered. It probably will form a slight layer on the top if you let it sit for awhile, but if you stir it up it'll be fine.

Kale Stirfry
Place the olive and grapeseed oil into a hot pan on medium heat. When the oil is hot, fry onions (keep left over onion for another dish tomorrow) with garlic until golden brown. Add the chopped kale into the pan and stir fry together. After a about 30 seconds put the water (can use the water from the pan in the hollandaise sauce. waste not want not) into the pan. It should sizzle immediately. Then add vinegar and lemon juice. Keep stirring the ingredients all the while. Then add sugar, salt, savory, and sesame seeds. Continue stirfry until the greens looks slightly wilted but not completely limp. Set aside covered

Fried eggs or (scrambled egg whites)
Make sure you use a flat non stick pan. Put a small amount of olive oil in the pan then break two eggs into the pan making sure they don't touch and egg yolks remain intact. Once the whites turn white on one side flip the eggs. If you like the eggs gooey don't fry too long, but i like mine not gooey so I end up having to break the yolk once the white parts are set.

Now put it all together. Place three slices of sourdouch on a plate. Layer kale then eggs, then a little more kale. Garnish the top of the masterpiece with some hollandaise sauce.

Umm umm good.

No comments: