I finally was able to cook again! Yah! My friend Amanda Roelle was talking about fermenting vegetables at the Seasonal Salon and she asked if I could bring some veggies from Les' yard to ferment. So I brought back some peppers and some broccoli leaves. The discussion/demonstration went great! Amanda did a great job and made kimche out of the brocolli leaves and peppers (she added cucumbers, garlic, ginger, and salt also). But there was left over broccoli leaves so I decided to make myself a little dinner... Risotto it is! I bet a lot of people didn't even know that you can eat broccoli leaves, but umm they are tasty!
Broccoli Leaves and Pattypan Squash Risotto
4 large broccoli leaves sliced in thin strips
1/2 small broccoli head
large diced pattypan squash (it was from my garden)
1 hot pepper minced
1 tsp black pepper
1 T butter
1/4 c. onion diced
1 green onion sliced
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp Corriander
4 cups veggie broth
2 T red wine
1 tsp salt
1 cup risotto
1/4 cup amaranth seeds
mozzarella cheese to top (not shown in picture)
- Stir fry onions, garlic, butter and oil until just golden.
- Add risotto and and fry for a couple more minutes until translucent
- Add red wine.
- Slowly add in 4 cups of veggie broth 1/2 cup at a time until risotto is tender but not mushy. After first 1/2 cup of broth add in the amaranth seeds.
- While the risotto is being stirfried, stir fry up the broccoli leaves, broccoli, squash, mustard seeds, corriander and hot pepper until just wilty about 5-8 mins.
- Combine both risotto and Veggies together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Mozzarella on top for some extra tastiness.
Time: 1 1/2 hours prep and cooking